Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Homemade Apple Cobbler

    So this past Labor Day we were at my brother in law and sister in law's house for a BBQ. We were sitting in their backyard watching all the kids pick apples from their apple tree. My sister in law said the apples are a bit bitter and that they weren't really eating them. The kids picked so many so I thought i could make a couple apple cobblers for everyone. Bitter/sour  apples work great for pies and cobblers. I've made apple cobbler before but I decided to use a new recipe and it turned out soooo good! I even had a little helper.......



We had to peel 25 apples total (I doubled the recipe) so I knew I needed help. Owen was a pro. 

What you'll need for The homemade filling:
12 pealed and cored apples, sliced
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract 
2 tbs softened butter

Batter:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 tsp salt
6 tbs softened butter
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs, slightly beaten 

Preheat your oven to 350*
~ Mix all the filling ingredients in a bowl and then transfer into a 13 by 9 baking dish
~ For the batter, mix all the ingredients except the eggs. Beat your three eggs in a separate bowl then slowly add them to the mixture and stir well. 
~ Drop the batter over the apples. It doesn't have to be perfect..... The batter will spread while baking
~ Bake at 350* for 1 hour
~ Serve while warm with a scoop of Vanilla ice cream! Yummmmmmy


Again, I doubled the recipe...... Here's all 25 pealed and sliced apples.



                                      
 



Don't worry too much about your placement of the batter over the apples. It will spread while baking.


Enjoy!








2 comments: